Friday, March 17, 2006

Four Island Tour

Today, Corinne and I, along with a few other people, took a longboat tour of 4 nearby islands. We left our beach (Ao Kantiang) at 9am and went south along our island (Ko Lanta) to pick up a few other people staying at other beaches. From there, we headed to Ko Ma for some snorkling. The boat trip there took nearly 1 hour and was pretty choppy in places. We got more than a little wet from the spray, but it was fun. The snorkeling was really good, too. Lots of different kinds of fish and coral, and not as many other tours there as my trip to Phi Phi yesterday.

We then went to the Emerald Cave on Ko Muk. We had to swim from our longboat through the cave, which was pretty low and quite dark right in the middle. Our guide had a little trouble with his flashlight when we entered the cave, leading to more than a little confusion and a little fright at the pitch black of the cave. We made it through to the other side to find ourselves in a a beautiful little lagoon, completely secluded. It was surrouned by very high cliffs; the only way in or out is through the cave. It's a popular place for tours to stop, and today was no exception. There were several other tours there, making our passage through the cave a little cramped at times. When we got to the lagoon, it was funny to listen to the calls and uncertain sounds of the tour groups approaching. There was one group of Asian tourists that were really cute, singing and calling out relplys as they came through the cave and out into the lagoon in a long string of yellow life-vested swimmers of all ages.

We wormed or way back out through the cave and back to our longboat, heading next for lunch on a stunning white-sand beach on Ko Kradan. We hung-out on the shore for about an hour, eating, sleeping, swimming. Corinne built sand castles while I snoozed under the shade of a tree. The water was post-card picture-perfect blue green and the sand was amazingly soft. The water was perfect for swimming in, with only a light surf.

After lunch, we headed for our last island, Ko Chuek, for a little more snorkling. I think I'm getting the hang of this! Although I shortened my time snorkling there when I spotted some jellyfish. With all the bug bites I have, I didn't really feel the need to add jellyfish stings to the collection.

We made it back to our bungalow around 5pm to find that we both had gotten a little more sun then we should have. I bare a striking resembalance to an over-grown lobster...not that I expect much sympathy from those of you enduring the lovely white "spring" of the frozen north. But still, ouch! I tried to stay in the shade when I could and I re-applyed my sun screen twice. But that was no match for the combination of sun and water. Now I've got those really sexy tan (or in my case burn) lines that all the bikini babes our here have...although I don't feel particularly sexy with them!

Now to close out the day, I'm going to watch Corinne get a tatoo, using the traditional bamboo technique (don't worry, I'm not going to join her). After that, supper and bed. And maybe a short hunt for some aloe.

Cheers from the very patriotic red and white skinned girl.

4 comments:

Avatamsaka Monastery Choir said...

Happy St. Paddy's Day! I doubt you'll find some green beer to celebrate but who knows? Stranger things have happened!

I'm jealous of all the stories of white sand beaches. Things are all-white over here too, but it's hardly bikini worthy.

Good luck with the gross sun-tan issues. I'm always happy to be a little darker skinned so we don't burn as easily!

Katherine said...

Sure sure, Evelyn. Just rub it in. :0)

Anonymous said...

So, are you sure that you don't want to give up those white beaches for some white snow? The forcast is for about 27 cm in total and I think that's where we're at right now and it's still snowing!! See what you're missing?

love, Tina
The cousin from the great white north :)

Anonymous said...

Where I was this weekend and where you are seem like complete alien planets to one another... I was camping with the Brownies and Guides in Banff this weekend... needless to say... it was an educational adventure. I had one girl, who if she could have done/brought everything wrong on the trip, she did. And our first aider ended up in the hospital... so needless to say... I am going to bed early tonight!!!
I am so glad to you hear you are heading for Australia... honestly... if I didn't live in Canada... that's where I would want to be. I loved it there! I know you will too! Just take everyday as it comes and soak in some of that nice sun! We won't recognize you when you come home... you will be so tan by then and not red anymore :P