Sunday, March 12, 2006

Self-Discovery

I've had an important bit of self-realization over the last couple of days, thanks to everything that I've been experiencing personally. I've discovered that I am a purpose-driven person. It's not that I need to have things to do to occupy my mind and hide behind. It's more that I'm a goal-oriented person, and when I take up something big like this, I need to have a purpose in mind. This trip was all about running away, making a clean break after my life as a student, and to let go of all responsibility for a while. Much to my amazment, I've discovered that I like having some responsibility, I get energized from having somthing to work towards. The last time I backpacked throughout eastern europe, it was with a school course. So every day, I had a purpose. I was always working towards something. This time, I'm not. True, there has been culture shock and it is very tiring moving around from place-to-place without a base, but I'm wandering aimlessly. In europe, we moved around constantly, always on the go. And there was some culutre shock, although I'm much more familiar with eastern european culture than asian culture. But still, we spent most of our time in places where we didn't know the language. What anchored me was having a purpose.

And so, I've pretty well come to the conclusion that 4 weeks of aimless backpacking is enough. I'm not very good at being listless for a long period of time, espetially if I'm not in familiar surroundings or situations. I think it would have been different if I had come here for work or for some kind of a project. I don't have any regrets. In fact, this realization has been a true gift, and I feel content and happy. Yes, I'm homesick, I miss family, friends, a kitchen and a closet. But I'm also ready to grab on to my next goal and to move forward.

4 comments:

Avatamsaka Monastery Choir said...

Next time we'll send you to Africa to volunteer in a school! That's a lot of responsibility and a great adventure at the same time. I'm glad you discovered this about yourself! That's the most important thing about traveling in a different culture - self discovery!

Anonymous said...

I.AM.PROUD.OF.YOU. And inspired...
:-). Keep going Katherine! You are Awesome! (
Love,
Steph

Anonymous said...

Oh and I agree with Evelyn about the Africa school thing - what about teaching English in Japan next time?? See you soon!!! :-D

Anonymous said...

I know from personal experience that an extended period away from home and in a very different environment is an excellent opportunity for gaining new perspective on who you are and what home means. This is often a somewhat difficult process to go through.

I want to confirm for you that you can trust your intuition and instincts. You go ahead and do what feels right for you. It's clear that you have been very respectful and considerate of your travelling copmanion, and can make your decisions now based on how you feel and what you want without feeling you could be letting her down.

I also want to recommend that you do your best to enjoy the experiences, insights and possibilities for pleasure in however many days you have left on your travels. You will kick yourself later for having missed some great opportunities if you don't.