Tuesday, March 28, 2006

G'day Mate!

So here I am in lovely Sydney. It's fantastic here! Such a beautiful city, full of wonderful contrasts. We spent yesterday afternoon walking from Kings Cross, where we stayed last night, around the main harbour front, and around the area surrounding the Opera House and Circular Quay. Along our meanderings, we took in:

  • Mrs. Macquaries Chair - A rock that is shaped like a chair on the edge of the harbour where a Mrs. Macquarie liked to sit and enjoy the view around the early 1800s. Exactly who Mrs. Macquarie was and why she was important, I'm not too sure, but apparently you're supposed to sit in the chair and make a wish. There were actually two rocks that looked like chairs and we couldn't figure out which was the actual chair, so we sat in both (took pictures, of course) and made our wishes...just to cover our bases. There were fantastic views of both the Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House from here, so of course we stopped and took a rediculous number of pictures. It was totally surreal to see this in person, after having seen it so many times in photographs, posters, and on T.V. It was quite spectacular.

  • The Royal Botanical Gardens - This is a beautiful public park with a nice path to stroll along the harbour front. It was full of wonderful trees and plants that I don't know the name of, as well as cockateals.

  • The Sydney Opera House - Wonderful, of course. I decided to splurge and bought myself a ticket to a play for last night in one of the smaller theaters in the complex: "The Importance of Being Ernest". It was done by two guys, who played all nine characters ... including all the women. It was really funny!

Anyway, I'm running out of computer time, so I'll post the details of todays wanderings later. Sydney is really beautiful and I love it here! The weather is great...mid 20's and not nearly as humid as Thailand!

Cheers for now. I'll post more later, with some pictures if I can!

2 comments:

Avatamsaka Monastery Choir said...

Hey Katherine! Sounds like you've found your groove in Oz. How long are you going to be staying in Oz? Are you just playing it by ear?

Anonymous said...

Hey! I've seen The Importance of Being Ernest!!! Not in Australia, of course... Sounds like you're having fun, and I'm glad to hear it. Looking forward to more pictures!